SINUSITIS is an inflammation of the sinuses (cavities, hollow spaces) in the forehead, cheeks, and behind the nose. The inflammation leads to swelling of the mucus lining of the sinuses with eventual obstruction of the small openings that allow the mucus to drain into the nasal passage.
The causes are many and include viral infections (most common cause), bacterial and fungal infections, allergies, blockage of the nose such as deviation of the septum, and polyps, etc.
Causes and symptoms of sinusitis.
The main symptoms are mild to severe pain of the forehead, cheeks, above or behind the eyes, as well as the teeth, and the face in general. With acute sinusitis, there may be fever.
Some other symptoms are a stuffy nose, sensation of fullness and pressure in the forehead, behind the nose, and below the cheek bones, and post-nasal drip (mucus running into the throat), as well as a loss of smell and taste. The symptoms may be aggravated by changes in the weather, cold wind, movement, heat, and so forth.
Most acute sinusitis cases resolve on their own. If the condition lasts more than a few days or becomes chronic (lasting 12 weeks or more) and recurrent, see a medical or naturopathic doctor for treatment.
Signs of danger:
A sinus infection may (rarely) spread upward to the brain. Hence, immediate medical advice and/or treatment is warranted if you experience symptoms such as
- pain and/or swelling around the eyes
- swollen forehead
- changes in vision
- severe headache
- difficulty breathing
- stiff neck.
Consider seeing a homeopath to help you find relief from sinusitis.
Homeopathic remedies address not only the symptoms but how a person responds to them, and what makes them better or worse. Moreover, homeopathic remedies are gentle, non-invasive, often very swift in their action, and safe.
Homeopathic remedies have no side effects. However, a person may temporarily experience an exacerbation of symptoms. It is best to let a homeopath do the prescribing. He/she is trained in the art of matching the symptoms of an individual with the appropriate remedy, as well as administer and monitor it.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of major homeopathic remedies for sinusitis:
- thin, watery, burning discharge that does not relieve the nasal stuffiness
- burning in the sinuses
- anxious, fearful, and restless; person is very chilly
- symptoms are worst between midnight and 2 a.m.
- symptoms are better with warm fluids taken in small sips
- sinus infection comes on with change in weather
- sweating around the head
- enlarged glands of the neck
- pain from the forehead down to the nose; thick yellow discharge
- sore, ulcerated nostrils
- green yellowish discharge from the nose
- extremely sensitive to wind, draft, or touch
- often swollen, tender lymph nodes along the neck
- symptoms are worse with eye movement, bending over, or motion
- symptoms relieved by warmth
- sticky, ropy, green yellowish discharge from the nose
- lots of discharge also running from back of nose into throat (post-nasal drip)
- painful crusts inside the nostrils that can’t be removed
- very painful frontal and maxillary sinuses with tender cheek bones
- symptoms are worst between 2-3 a.m.
- symptoms relieved by warmth and constant movement, and worse in damp cold air
- bloody, pus-like discharge into the nose, causing foul breath
- pain in the right frontal sinus, above the eye
- excessive salivation and perspiration with no relief
- symptoms are worse when lying on the right side, at night, when overheated, and in cold damp weather
- thick yellow greenish nasal discharge that doesn’t irritate
- person is weepy and wants to be taken care of
- pain moves around quickly in the face, between the teeth, maxillary, and frontal sinuses
- is chilly and thirstless but prefers fresh air
- acute and chronic sinusitis
- more on the left than the right side
- green pus-like and bloody nasal discharge; teeth often hurt when blowing the nose
Also see craniosacral therapy as a treatment for sinusitis.